Thursday, June 28, 2007

Stuart's Arete


A few weeks ago I was able to climb one of my favorite routes with a fellow climber who doesn't get out much. Stuarts Arete is a three pitch climb in Big Cottonwood Canyon that fit our agenda for the day perfectly. Its rated 5.6 in the guide book, but the third pitch is a stellar 80' knife blade arete with one bolt and no gear! You never really feel like your sketched out on the last pitch, but the excitement factors is definitely there. There are tons of routes in Big that are fun and enjoyable. Maybe the reason I climb there more than anywhere else is because the rock reminds me of the sandstone back in the south - where I honed my climbing skills.



Jason, obviously pleased



The right side of the formation falls away drastically into Big Cottonwood Canyon.

No comments: