Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Drillology 101


Quite a showing for a weekday at Inspo. I impulsively threw things together this afternoon and jetted down to Provo. I thought I'd be flying alone, but to my amazement there were six other gliders almost set up! Ryan Voight, Mitch McAlear, Dave Gibson, Dude and two guys from North Carolina made up the field. Mitch and Ryan were off before 3:30pm and had to work to get up. Finally their work paid of and they were out of sight.


Ryan Voight


Dude

I was the last one off. Most of us waited through a strong south cycle that lasted over thirty minutes. Once the wind straightened out, the remaining few trundled off like lemmings. I was able to maintain over launch and climbed to three hundred over. Because of the strong south component, I drifted north to a bowl that typically produces when it's south. I encountered zero sink and basically drifted with the marginal lift until I was across the canyon and had the primary LZ on glide. I landed after less than thirty miniutes. Most everyone else had longer flights. Ryan, Mitch and Dave got on Temp and and had great gains - 12asl+.



Dude making a South Side style landing.


Mitch lands after an impressive aerobatic demonstration - including consecutive loops.

No comments: