Sunday, July 27, 2008

Friday Greg and I met up at Inspo with a couple from the Bay area, Adrian and Heather. They had never flown Inspo, so Greg gave them both the rundown on LZs, house thermals etc.. The soaring forecast looked great, but the wind was strong out of the south. Not good. We all ended up with slightly extended sled runs.

On Saturday I ran back down to Provo, hoping to meet back up with Adrian and Heather for a redo. They had car problems, so I ventured on up to launch solo. The wind looked perfect and coupled with the mornings positive soaring forecast, I was anxious to get in the air. Two factors were bearing on the back of my mind as I set up. To the south just past Provo, a significant cell was developing and ever so slowly pressing north. The other factor was the fire in Provo Canyon that over the past several days grew from a structure fire to a forest fire. Firefighting aircraft were ferrying water to the fire, so I was wondering if I should be in the air at all. I decided to continue setting up.

Soon enough I was on launch waiting for a good cycle. Immediately after take off I found a nice core out front that developed into a boomer! I topped out at 13,850ft. The canyon fire was less than a few thousand feet over the back of Cascade and was quite impressive from the air. After a nice jaunt over to Timpanogas, I decided the developing cell was moving to close for comfort, so I headed out over the city finding some of the strongest lift of the day. Due to the growing threat from the encroaching thunderstorm, I felt the need to get on the ground so I cored some sink and landed an hour and a half after launching.

An added bonus was having my truck waiting for me at the LZ, thanks to a friendly couple at launch.

No comments: