Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sunday 8.16.09

Cody and I made the regular homage to the Crawfords on Sunday. Given the weather conditions this summer, it's been the flying site of choice. Almost every time we have flown the Crawfords, XC potential has been good. Sunday was no different!

In short, Cody and I set up and got off the hill as a few other pilots trickled in. I flew straight out from launch and without much effort found myself a few grand over launch. I continued flying out over the flats and toward a cloud that was relatively fresh. I found good lift in the area under the cloud, and soon I was in some of the strongest lift I've been in this year. I was averaging 15 - 18 hundred fpm for 20 seconds and longer at a time. I was quickly 14,000+asl and at cloud base. As I waited for Cody I played in the cloud, flying a hundred feet or so into the edge of the cloud and then flying out its side. Too much fun.

Cody soon caught up and we decided to head north toward highway 30 junction and hopefully on toward Kemerer, WY. Our plan was short lived. The lift to the north wasn't working as well. We found a nice hay field that had just been cut and landed into a nice breeze. Flight time: just over 2hours / Distance: hmmm

No comments: